- My Psychic: Poems (2006)
- Three Poets of Modern Korea: Yi Sang, Hahm Dong-Seon and Choi Young-Mi, a collection of translations from the Korean with Jung-Yul Yu, Sarabande Books (2002)
- The Gatehouse Heaven: Poems, (1998)
Poet James Kimbrell was born in 1967 in Jackson, Mississippi. He received his master’s degree from the University of Virginia and his doctoral degree from the University of Missouri at Columbia. He studied at the Center for Writers at the University of Mississippi. In 1998, he was awarded a Ford Foundation Fellowship for research and team-teaching of Philosophy of Religion and Introduction to Religious Studies at Millsaps College. He is a prize-winning poet and translator and was a Grisham writer-in-residence at the University of Mississippi and a panelist for the 16th annual Oxford Conference for the Book.
His book, The Gatehouse Heaven, was awarded the Kathryn A. Morton Prize. He has received the Whiting Writers’ Award, the Ruth Lilly Award, the Nation Award, a Ford Foundation Fellowship, two Academy of American Poets awards, and a National Endowment for the Arts Individual Artist Fellowship in poetry. More of his awards are listed on his Florida State page.
Kimbrell is an Associate Professor at Florida State University.
- Empty House – poem by Kimbrell
- Ode, by Kimbrell
- MU grad student wins national poetry award (1997)
- Grisham Writer-in-Residence is Panelist for National Poetry Month Event