- Always Happy Hour (to be published) 2017
- Last Days of California (2014 Liveright)
- Big World (2009) Short Stories
- Less Shiny (2008) Short Stories
Mary Miller is a native Mississippian who was born in Jackson. Her professors at the University of Southern Mississippi, Frederick Barthelme and Steven Barthelme, taught her much about writing as they are writers themselves. As a graduate student, she attended the Michener Center for Writers at the University of Texas in Austin.
Less Shiny, Miller’s first chapbook collection of short stories, was published in 2008 by Magic Helicopter Press. A full-length collection of short stories entitled Big World was published in 2009 and is now in its third printing. Her first novel, The Last Days of California, was published in 2014 to wide acclaim. In it, the Metcalf family is on a road trip from Alabama to the Pacific Ocean where they hope to witness the rapture. Miller says she grew up Catholic in the South where most people are Protestant and so did not know about the idea of the rapture until she grew up. The story is told from the point of view of a teenager named Jess, who is not all that interested is the reason for the family’s trip.
In 2014, she was the Grisham Writer-in-Residence at the University of Mississippi. She was also a featured speaker at the 2014 Eudora Welty Symposium at the W in Columbus, Mississippi. She is currently Visiting Assistant Professor at Mississippi University for Women. She was a participant at the Mississippi Book Festival in 2016 in Jackson.
Her next novel will be published in 2017 with the title Always Happy Hour.
- New York Times Review of Last Days of California by Laurie Muchnick
- Mary Miller’s Tumblr
- Mary Miller’s Twitter
- The Rumpus Interview (Last Days of CA)
- Mostly Scary: An Interview with Mary Miller: http://lentmag.com/interview-with-mary-miller/
- Road Raptures: Mary Miller with Matt Bell: http://www.brooklynrail.org/2014/02/books/road-raptures
- Redbook Reads: Q&A with Mary Miller: http://www.redbookmag.com/health-wellness/advice/mary-miller-interview
- Largehearted Boy Book Notes (Last Days of CA): http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/archive/2014/01/book_notes_mary_3.html
- Southern Writing Lives Online: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/4/southern-writinglivesonline.html
- Magic Helicopter Author Interview: http://magichelicopter.tumblr.com/post/52736235868/magic-helicopter-author-interview-mary-miller
- The Rumpus Interview (Big World): http://therumpus.net/2011/02/the-rumpus-interview-with-mary-miller/
- Big World: http://lunaparkreview.com/big-world-an-interview-with-mary-miller/
- Largehearted Boy Book Notes: http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/archive/2009/02/book_notes_mary.html
- Miller edits the blog I Read A Short Story Today.