- Bottle Trees and other Garden Glass (2013)
- Garden Hearts (2012)
- Slow Gardening: A No-Stress Philosophy for all Senses and Seasons (2011)
- Guide to North Carolina Vegetable Gardening (2008) with Walter Reeves
- Alabama & Mississippi Gardeners (2005)
- Tough Plants for Florida Gardens (2005)
- Passalong Plants
- And many articles for newspapers
Felder Rushing is Mississippi’s Master Gardener (a program which he started in Mississippi). His love of gardening began under the apprenticeship of his horticulturist great-grandmother and his garden club grandmother. His books, thousands of newspaper articles, his magazine articles, radio show (The Gestalt Gardener) and his TV appearances have made him Southern Living magazine’s “one of twenty-five people most likely to change the South.” He has also founded what he calls Slow Gardening. In all, Rushing has authored or co-authored eighteen books about gardening. He graduated from Mississippi State University and worked as an Extension Service urban horticulture specialist until he retired early. He lives in the Fondren area of Jackson, Mississippi.
Today he gives lectures and workshops all over the United States. He recently spent three years at a cottage farm in Shropshire, England, but continued to write and travel. His view of gardening is unique and his yard apparently sometimes makes his neighbors unhappy. He has made his truck garden famous as he travels the state literally with a garden in the back of his pickup truck.
Rushing’s Gestalt Gardener is a popular Mississippi radio program on Mississippi Public Broadcasting (MPB). For years he had a partner, Dr. Dirt, who has now retired from the program. The two of them talked gardening and answered questions phoned in by listeners.
Rushing has been national director of the Garden Writers Association, a member of the National Youth Gardening Committee, and board member of the American Horticultural Society.
- Felder Rushing’s own website.
- Clarion-Ledger article : Felder Rushing: The Joy of Gardening
- Tour Garden Expert Felder Rushing’s Garden on HGTV.
- Gestalt Gardener podcasts on NPR.
- Federal Twist blog discusses Rushing’s yard in Fondren.