- Mississippi the Land and the People (1981)
- People’s University: The centennial history of Mississippi State
- Your Mississippi (1975)
- Mississippi in the Confederacy (1961)
- Mississippi: A History (1959)
- South of Appomatox (1959)
- People’s College: A history of Mississippi State (1953)
- Confederate Mississippi: The People and Policies of a Cotton State in Wartime (1943)
- You and Your Vote
- Your Old World Past
Born in 1909 in Jackson, MS, Bettersworth attended Millsaps College and graduated magna cum laude in 1929. He taught high school in Jackson for 5 years and then went on to obtain a PhD in history from Duke University in 1937. He was a professor at Mississippi State College (Mississippi State University) for over 40 years. He became the Associate Dean of Liberal Arts in 1956 and Vice President for Academic Affairs in 1961. He was Editor of the Mississippi Historical Commission from 1948 to 1968 and Director of the Mississippi Historical Society for over 50 years. John Bettersworth died in 1991. He is buried in Memorial Garden Park in Starkville.
Mississippi State University has an auditorium and lecture series named after John K. Bettersworth.
- Lloyd, James B. Lives of Mississippi Authors, 1817-1967. University Press of Mississippi